As “back to school” season is upon us, change is definitely in the air. Transitions are a time of excitement and growth but can also be challenging. This week’s Friday Five items run the gamut:
- Is Jerry Garcia no longer a relevant cultural reference for college freshmen? Professors debate the “generation gap” @ Inside Higher Ed
- Why did we ever move on from these great words? Our resident vegetarians say they are going to be less beef-witted as they attempt to become spermologers @ deathandtaxesmag
- As Bradley Manning transitions to Chelsea, we were reminded of this article by Silas Hansen on the challenge of choosing a new name @ Slate
- With Egypt back in the news, we see a transition from revolution to protracted struggle. What does this mean for the “Arab Spring”? @Foreign Policy
- The widening gap in income inequality is certainly not representative of positive social growth, but the increasing attention to this topic is encouraging @ CNN
What’s changing in your life?